Sunday, September 21, 2008

Chrisma Magazine

September 18, 2008
Washington Post Lampoons Palin and Pentecostalsby Steve Strang
When it became known that Sarah Palin grew up as a Pentecostal, it was only a matter of time before the attacks began. Palin and the McCain campaign have been discreet about her faith. And our article in the new issue of Charisma (in the mail now) and in our Charisma News Bulletin (click here to read it) says that she has attended the “evangelical” Wasilla Bible Church since 2002.
It’s not uncommon for Pentecostals to be made fun of in the press. It’s happened for years--even by other Christians who look down on or disagree with Pentecostal distinctives such as speaking in tongues. But a cartoon at washingtonpost.com by Pat Oliphant went too far and borders on blasphemy. Read more if you want to be shocked.
Also, below is a letter from David Tyree, the New York Jets football player who made the amazing “catch” at the Super Bowl. You’ll want to read his letter about how to order his new book. I just read the book, and it is inspiring to see how God has worked in his life. It is also “a good read.” I believe you’ll enjoy it.
At the end of this e-newsletter is information from Robert Stearns on an important rally being held next Monday, Sept. 22, in New York in support of Israel. Interestingly, vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin, a believer and advocate of Israel, will speak at the rally. E-mail copies to your friends who may be able to attend.Back to the cartoon on the Post’s Web site. If you want to see it and read the rest of the Strang Report, click here
Dear Friend,
This year’s Super Bowl was a day I will never forget. There will be many stories told of the behind-the-scenes events that led up to that historic game. God moved so suddenly and miraculously there that “David Tyree” has become a household name. And, because of a couple of plays, now people want to know my story.
More Than Just The Catch tells my story. It includes the good, the bad, and the ugly. When you finish it, you will know that its message is about more than a game. It is about a life changed and the One who changed it. God allowed me to be a part of what some people have called the greatest play in Super Bowl history to provide a platform so that He would get the glory. I believe that many lives will be touched by the truth of this.
My motive for sharing my life story is to encourage others to put their trust in God. I want people to know that Jesus is real. I pray that my testimony will release miracles to every person who reads it. I especially want to shout out this promise to the young people who think it is boring to serve God: miracles are never boring!
I also pray that my story will touch the lives of professional athletes who have been distracted and separated from the reality of what success is. When the cameras’ flashing lights dim and go out, I cannot be a hero to the world and not be a hero...

Continue to Article

No comments: